Firma: The New York Times
Stanowisko: Bureau Manager and News Assistant
The News Assistant and Bureau Manager is both the point person for administrative matters and an essential journalist in the New York Times Warsaw Bureau. The job responsibilities are two-fold: managing a variety of administrative tasks, the most important being navigating the Polish bureaucracy on behalf of the New York Times; and working closely with the bureau chief on news and enterprise coverage of Poland and the region. Candidates need to be fluent in Polish and have a strong background in journalism. This includes skills in research, developing sources, Polish-to-English translation and thinking through story ideas and coverage to best serve the New York Times’ global readership.
Responsibilities as News Assistant include the following:
- Work closely with the Bureau Chief, Correspondents and Editors to identify, research and write high-impact stories accurately, for any and all media.
- Presenting facts and analysis in clear written or other form and in conformity with style, length and other requirements, and developing high-impact stories from the broader themes that underpin incremental news developments.
- Cultivate and maintain sources and contacts, especially for news related to the region.
- Monitor current events across local news media, and provide updates and briefings for our Correspondents and Editors.
- Obtaining information through interviews, observations and research, conduct interviews by telephone and in person with sources independently and with correspondents, in Warsaw and on reporting trips in the region.
- Provide Polish-to-English translation to English and vice versa for Correspondents.
- Assist the Bureau Chief and Correspondents in arranging logistics for reporting trips and making appointments for interviews., assuring reliability and quality
- Monitor social media and search trends for story ideas and to aid reporting and ensure that Times content is optimized.
- Represent NYT at events and conferences.Other tasks as required by newsroom management.
Requirements for News Assistant:
- Strong writing ability
- Newsgathering skills, including use of social media
- News judgment and knowledge of world affairs
- Facility with content management software
- Familiarity with research tools such as Factiva and Nexis, and ability to analyze data
- Language skills: English, Polish
Responsibilities as Bureau Manager include the following:
- Act as first point of contact for all visitors to the bureau.
- Help with equipment and press credentials for the bureau chief and visiting correspondents.
- Maintain staff contacts lists.
- Process payroll and invoices for bureau, including freelancer payments.
- Navigate the Polish bureaucracy on behalf of The Times, taking care of necessary paperwork to maintain the newspaper’s legal status in Poland.
- Liaise with human resources to help obtain visas and address sort any immigration issues for expats.
- Advise on relocation/home moves and assist with temporary accommodation where necessary. Process any associated costs with regard to living accommodation e.g, Rent.
- Liaise with security in regard to office security procedures and security during assignments.
- Any other administration tasks and handling queries relating to bureau and employees where required.
- Fire marshal and first aid.
- Team schedules, both annual leave and weekly work planning.
- Assisting in analyzing monthly budget, alerting relevant people to overspending.
- Scheduling and set up travel arrangements for the Bureau Chief and visiting Times reporter and /editors.
The Bureau Manager will work closely with News Administration office in New York on all of the above matters.
Requirements for Bureau Manager:
- Meticulous organizational skills; ability to prioritize with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Numerate, comfortable and confident. Ability to work working with spreadsheets and budgets.
- Ability to deal with all levels of management and staff in a highly professional manner.
- Professional judgment with respect to detail and confidentiality is a must.
- An appreciation of The Times’ culture and work ethics.
- Good general computer skills are a must, including experience with MS Word, Excel, email. Beneficial to have experience with Notilus, Workday, Egencia or other payment systems.
We offer a full-time contract with the Polish branch of The New York Times for one year, with the opportunity to continue working with the NYT beyond that in some capacity.
Please apply HERE.